cave of wonders
This blog was created to fulfill the requirements of my AP English Language class.
Monday, December 21, 2009
Response to Frederick Douglass
I'm not sure how to feel about Frederick Douglass/his life.I cannot say that I truly 'enjoyed' this narrative;to say that I enjoyed it is to say that I enjoyed watching Schindler's List or Amistad or listening to an extremely sad song.This is not a story one can enjoy.Sure there are parts to it that are sort of uplifting and that make you feel a little better.But the truth of the matter is that I do not believe that the author himself enjoyed his own life.We know that Frederick lived the grueling life of a slave and by means of planning and somehow luck he was able to find himself a free man.But,I,like most people,do not find enjoyment out of the misfortune of others.If I had to say what my favorite part of his story was it would have to be the part where Fredrick's mistress unwittingly taught him how to read and how he learned how to write by imitating his master's penmanship.I mean,Fredrick's later life would be focused almost entirely on his literacy,without his literacy,one would not remember him very well,would we?We wouldn't have him in our history books or our literature books without the fact that he was able to transcend such a peculiar institution as slavery and learn how to do something,such as read and write that was not expected of him and was prohibited for him.

This story sort of makes me feel as if I have yet to truly live my life.There hasn't been anything really that has shaped me in such a way as slavery shaped Frederick.It is not that I am 'jealous' of the life that he lived,I am just envious at the fact that Frederick was able to rise above it and exceed the expectation that people held of him.Maybe one day I will be able to put my name on a great piece of work like Frederick did.Maybe one day I will be able to make a difference in the world.But until then,I guess I will have to live a life of general obscurity.
3 Comments:
Blogger Georginaaaaa . said...
I agree with you Bernarda. If Frederick Douglass would of never learned how to read or write he wouldn't be known as he is for his literacy.
-georgina(:

Blogger Something Special said...
i agree wit u n Georgii 2 bernarda!!Thats the main point of the book!!

Blogger msguysblog said...
Bernarda- as always, your response reflects your true thoughtfulness. I do still believe that we can have a "favorite part" or can still "enjoy" a piece of literature that is complex and refelcts a person's pain and hardship. We can enjoy, or maybe revel because we know hardship and pain as well. My favorite part was the fight against Covey--not ultimately because Frederick won, it is because his determination and human spirit triumph over his situation. Even had Frederick been whipped, and whipped horribly, his defiance and his dignity are what I most admire as illustrated through this chapter of his life. Keep up the good work with your blog. I enjoy your postings, layout, and your blog listings. I didnt see you precis though on your outside reading (from Magazine or blogs of interet).

Post a Comment